When it comes being passionate about automobiles, everybody thinks about designing and making high powered luxury cars or modifying used luxury cars. Mr Wright, one of the co-founders of Tesla motors, on the other hand, put his foot in revolutionizing a huge, at times stinky and not so glamorous: Garbage trucks.
While Wright had left Tesla in its early days to form Wrightspeed to make an electric sports car with a technology called X1 which was created by him; he changed his ways and diverted his concept. The technology that could have enabled a luxury car to reach 60 mph in mere 3 seconds was instead put to use to make garbage truck.
The used garbage truck for sale were usulaly discarded or just stood there. Wright observed this and decided to make a change. He decided to make trucks that were fuel efficient, emission efficient and quieter. He worked on it and after several attempts, made the jet powered garbage truck or what Wright called it, a ‘drivetrain’.
The Drivetrain invented was efficient in many ways. The features it possessed were way different and modern than the traditional trucks had. Here are some of the features listed:
- The Drivetrains exceeded the performance of the straight-six diesel engine and heavy gearboxes.
- The trucks are powered by electric motors. The motors provide 400 horsepower. This makes the truck very powerful and gives it torque enough to trundle 40% grade.
- The fuel efficiency of the newly made garbage trucks was amazing. It could reduce fuel consumption by almost 70% and this was a great feature!
- The trucks are needed to start and stop frequently. Keeping this utility in mind, the trucks were imparted with a 1000 horsepower to stop. This was a desirable feature by drivers.
- The most dreadful thing about the garbage trucks was undisputedly its noise! The terrible noise it made every time it came on the streets was undesired. The innovation in the trucks made by Wright ran on electricity and was much quieter than. The turbine run engines were also very quiet.
- The turbine engines used are simpler to operate. The engines can be run on any fuel very efficiently. Wrightspeed intended to make the engines run on the readily available fuels like natural gas and diesel. The trucks leave behind the least pollution possible.
The technology developed by Wrightspeed including the turbine drivetrain, batteries, and motors can be utilised in different ways. It can fit in the space of a conventional diesel engine, its gearbox, its differentials, or the two rear axles. The locals can fit the technology by picking up the used garbage trucks for sale and modifying them or use the newly made trucks. This revolution in the garbage trucks space finally took the garbage truck segment to the jet-powered vehicles segment. Jet powered engines improved the garbage truck’s performance s1even fold. It glorified the otherwise monotonous looking and low performing garbage trucks